Restoring world file from root directory

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by adamkade, Sep 3, 2014.

1. adamkade

adamkade New Member

I am a noob at this. A helpful chap from Hostehorde has said : "I've gone ahead and restored a copy of your files from 00:01 MDT on September 2nd, 2014, to the folder "server_restore", located in the root directory of your server."

But I have no idea how to restore from this directory. Each time I ask they simply send me this link which explains how to transfer files from my computer via filevilla. Which is all very fine, but it completely baffles me. When I do try to do anything with it, nothing seems to change anything on multicraft.

I am at a loss as to reload my world since I lost it.

2. adamkade

adamkade New Member

https://www.hosthorde.com/forums/resources/getting-started-with-ftp.31/

I have set up filezilla but have no idea how to use. Hmm I wonder if I should just upload from the "server_restore" directory into the "custom_server.jar". There is no way to know whether this would make things worse. That is the problem. I have no tutorial on this sort of thing so I am going round in circles.

3. Bryan

Bryan Member
    Staff Member

Can you show me a screenshot of the contents of the server_restore directory?

4. adamkade

adamkade New Member

Here is a copy of my server_restore directory. I have copied them to my computer. Also I have deleted files on server and copied over files from server_restore into the directory above that.

Attached Files:

5. Bryan

Bryan Member
    Staff Member

The files in server_restore is everything from the period that it was restored from. If you are just interested in the restored world save:
    1. Stop the server
    2. Rename the current world save so that the server doesn't use it, and you still have it just in case.
      Rename:
      • /world to /world_backup
      • /world_nether to /world_nether_backup
      • /world_the_end to /world_the_end_backup
    3. Move the restored world directories to the root directory.
      Move:
      • /server_restore/world to /world
      • /server_restore/world_nether to /world_nether
      • /server_restore/world_the_end to /world_the_end
    4. Start the server

6. adamkade

adamkade New Member

I have sorted it now. Thanks very much. Everything is much clearer now. The only questions remaining are: how do I restore the nether? I have restored the nether by swapping around some files/renaming dim folder etc ( this link helped me: https://forums.bukkit.org/threads/how-do-i-transfer-server-files-to-singleplayer.76821/) and managed to get everything and then I restored world. Initially I did just simply copy the "nether" and "end world" folder with the "world" folder" but when I tried to re-enter the nether in-game it was quickly apparent that it hadn't restored it. Also, I have lost all contents of my inventory and ender chest. I wonder is there a way of getting everything? But I am not to concerned.

But after all is said and done, everything is working fine now. Again thanks very much for your help!

7. Bryan

Bryan Member
    Staff Member

Bukkit saves the world differently to Vanilla. On a Vanilla server, the world is saved like this:
    • Overworld: /world/region
    • Nether: /world/DIM1
    • End: /world/DIM-1
    Bukkit supports having more than three worlds, so it saves like this:
    • Overworld: /world
    • Nether: /world_nether
    • End: /world_the_end
    And then if you want more worlds, you can just add them. When you open a Vanilla save in a Bukkit server, Bukkit will silently move the region files to its own format.

Your inventory and ender chest content is saved in /world/players or /world/playerdata.