Community Chat?

Discussion in 'Ideas & Suggestions' started by Chris8130, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Chris8130

Chris8130 New Member

I think a community based live chat at the bottom of the forum would be a great addition to the forums, just a thought.

2. DtigerCSK

DtigerCSK Active Member

So a shoutbox?

3. Chris8130

Chris8130 New Member

Yes, phpBB offers it, as a mod. Something like that :D.

4. DtigerCSK

DtigerCSK Active Member

This forum uses Xenforo, but there still is a shoutbox for it.

5. Joseph

Joseph New Member
    Staff Member

I don't personally make decisions regarding changes like this, but I thought I'd throw my opinion up here too.

I feel that this would defeat the purpose of our forums, at least at this time. People would just use the shoutbox rather than posting in an appropriate section, so forum posts would decrease and we'd just have a very unorganized chat/shout box. Maybe it would be different when more of our clients are using the forum though.

DtigerCSK likes this.
  6. Chris8130

Chris8130 New Member

Well it's a great addition if people are not posting and just there's only a few people online + talking to someone on a forum topic is considered spam, atleast when I look at it.

7. 3lade

3lade Member

I see what you mean, but as @Joseph said, it would defeat the purpose of the forums. Most of the times you'd have to be extremely lucky to catch a member being ONLINE on the forums, so that you could ask for help (I assume this is why you would want live chat). If you have any questions you can just ask under the community support, and most of the time you recieve an answer almost immediately. On the other hand if you need live chat, there is HostHorde Live Chat Support.

So personally, I don't see a need for Live Chat just yet.

8. Chris8130

Chris8130 New Member

It's not for support, it's just to talk to other people that have a HostHorde product, and it does not really defeat the purpose if you're just chatting.

9. 3lade

3lade Member

Forums aren't places for "just chatting", they serve a purpose. If you wanted to "just chat" you could easily private message a user. And if you wanted to talk about HostHorde product related things, there's the General Discussion section. It isn't considered spam as long as it's posted in the right section.

10. Chris8130

Chris8130 New Member

If it wasn't a place for "chatting" then you and I would not be here, as like you said above, if you need support open a ticket or goto livechat.

11. 3lade

3lade Member

I do not really consider this chatting, I consider this more of an open discussion for all HostHorde members regarding a suggestion. Also, I think this discussion should come to an end. We expressed our opinions about this, and now it is on HostHorde's staff to decide what happens and what doesn't. :)