Advanced server management

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Galvas, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Galvas

Galvas New Member

Hello,

I'm running a Forge server with a lot of mods installed, the server was running very well at first but naturally as the map opens and people progress things are starting to slow down and I feel the need to find better ways to manage my server.

I have Opis installed, wich gives me a lot of data on meantime per entity, number of entities, per chunk, per world, etc. But I'm not being able to trace down the source of my troubles, and I would like to know what else can I do to help me find and solve lag issues.

Multicraft tells me my memory usage is not the problem (2GB out of 6GB), but the processor is usually near 200%. Running Opis I see an overall meantime around 50 ms, indicating that even though the processor is working hard it is not overloaded.

My thoughts are that the problem might be network, but its very hard for me to measure it fairly because we are in Brazil and our network is far from being reliable. Opis shows me some very big networking numbers, with upload rates of 200Mb/s, but I'm not sure if that is a normal for a server, or how that is affecting the experience per user. Also Opis tells me my ping fluctuating from 500ms to 1000ms, wich is not very likely since Minecraft server screen tells me 130ms, one of the main reasons I chose this host to begin with.

I'm sorry if my text if not well written or hard to understand, but if anyone has any tips or ideias on other tools I can use to help me manage server usage in the future, or how I can measure and test network problems from both the server and the client side, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

2. bshayhoe

bshayhoe New Member

Hi Galvas,

So if you are having these problems it might be helpful if we were to have a startup log or something like that. I could recommend a version of ClearLagg but you would have to be using Bukkit/Spigot and Forge. If you need to contact technical support via. A ticket and they should be able to give you some advice about this problem.

Thanks,
    Behn Hayhoe

3. Galvas

Galvas New Member

Thanks for answering, I have it figured out now. I replaced Forge with Cauldron and ran the /timings command to help me trace down things.
    With some help on IRC I figured too many chunks were loaded at the same time, so too many entities were overloading the server, even though meantime wasnt so big imo.

Here is performance before:
    http://timings.aikar.co/?url=8740815[
    and after I removed chunk loaders:
    http://timings.aikar.co/?url=8741067